I would like to put up a lovely blog post about Christmas, or the wonderful going away parties we had, or Ava's new haircut, or even our move that's in process...but I can't. Because our hard drive got smoked. We've had it for a YEAR. It's a good thing I don't believe in luck, because in general I don't seem to have a whole lot of it. Don't get me wrong, I'm beyond blessed. I have beautiful children and an awesome husband, some of the best friends created, and a dog who is above average on the awesome scale. But in terms of like, fires, floods, losing all my pictures from my children's life TWICE, computer hard drives, dropping phones in water, etc....well that's where my luck seems to fail.
Several sweet friends wrote me cards and the common thread was people saying I was "authentic". Why do people like people like ME? People whose house is a mess and kids are unkempt and who only shower every few days. Here is what I came up with: If you're the opposite type, I make you feel really good about yourself, and if you are more like me-it's just always nice to know there is someone else in the world who is worse than you are. :)
So-thanks to my friends for embracing my "authenticity". Also, please pray I can get some of my pictures back. More on Christmas, hair, and moving soon. Hopefully. Wish me luck!
8 comments:
I hate to bust your theory...but I have to say your authenticity is a wonderful beautiful thing that doesnt make me feel better about myself but makes me want to be more like YOU!...So, if you wanna call yourself a "hot mess" go ahead...but I love it and think the world of you ;)
I prefer to think of you as "organic" and just plain delicious. Love you friend...and praying for your pictures...again.
Heidi, you crack me up. First of all, my stomach got sick when I read you've lost your pictures! ugh...i will pray! But oh my, I did a fist pump when I read that you only shower every few days. we're in the same camp, my friend. I'm glad I'm not alone...baby powder does wonders for unkempt hair ;-)
And what a second...you're moving?!?! where?!?! I am soooo behind...I need to catch up!!
Hilarious. I will say, as a blonde you have an advantage on the unshowered hair. I have a two day max, which still frequently results in a hat on day #2. And my kids? Once a week unless smelly or sticky.
Praying you recover some photos and maintain some semblance of sanity during your big move.
And be glad you're a hot mess. My two-year-old argues that term and refers to herself as a cold mess. whatever.
I don't think there is a much better compliment than to be called authentic! I really love you...you make the whole "hot mess" thing cool.
I'm pretty sure your charming, kind, fun, self-depricating wit are what people are referring to and attracted to about you . . . your super cute daughters might have something to do with it. the hot mess is just a bonus . . . house fires and floods enhance the flavor of upside down hashbrows! . . . your blog is like Lord of the Rings, if only Ricky Gervais had written it!
I'm going to agree with whoever said not showering definitely goes better with blondes. I have to shower and wash my hair every single day. I am very jealous of anyone else who doesn't have to.
Also, I'm sorry to hear you lost your pictures. That makes me sick. AT least you have your blog right? You can turn that into a book.
I thank the Lord every other day for dry shampoo so I can be a little more un-showered like you. You and all your content are adorable. And loved. We like real. And miss you.
Post a Comment